Would you be able to spot signs of human trafficking?
Some of the common traits seen in victims of human trafficking might include:
- Appearing malnourished, or lacking health care
- Showing signs of physical and/or sexual abuse, physical restraint, confinement, or torture
- Appearing unusually fearful, anxious, depressed, submissive, tense, or nervous/paranoid
- Avoiding eye contact
- Is not free to leave or come and go as he/she wishes
- Is not in control of his/her own identification documents (ID or passport)
- Claims of ‘just visiting’ and inability to clarify where he/she is staying/address
- Lack of knowledge of whereabouts and/or not knowing what city he/she is in
If you live in the US and think you know a trafficking victim:
Call the National Human Trafficking Resource Center (NHTRC) at 1-888-373-7888 to anonymously report a tip.
The hotline is available 24/7, in over 200 languages, and will connect you to anti-trafficking services in your area.
Or text INFO or HELP to BeFree (233733)
– The US Department of State Trafficking in Persons Report (TIP)
– Hofstra University-LifeWay Network Human Trafficking Report
– Polaris Project